HOW TO WORK IN CANADA BY OBTAINING A CANADIAN WORK PERMIT?
A work permit is a government-issued document that allows a foreigner to work in a country.
It would be great if you typically had a work permit so that you can work in Canada.
Canada work permits come in two main categories.
- Employer Specific Work Permit
- Open Work Permit
Work permit issued by the employer (Employer specific work permit)
An employer-specific work permit allows you to work in Canada under certain conditions, such as:
- A specified name of the employer you can work for in Canada
- How long you can work at that job
- Work locations (if applicable)
Before submitting your application for an employer-specific Canada work permit, the employer who intends to hire you must satisfy some measures and provide you with either a copy of:
Labour Market Impact Assessment
Or an offer of employment number to be included in your application.
Canada Open Work Permit
An OWP, Open Work Permit allows you to work for any employer in Canada, except:
- Those that have been listed as ineligible on the employer’s list, those who have failed to comply with the conditions or
- Those who regularly offers striptease, erotic dance, escort services, or erotic massages
The following foreign nationals could also be eligible to use an open work permit:
Some international students’ spouses or common-law partners of some temporary foreign workers.
You can only apply for a Canadian work permit from within Canada if:
- You got a valid study or Canada Work Permit;
- Your Spouse, Common-law partner, or our parents have a legitimate study or Canada work permit;
- You’re eligible for post-graduation working papers, and your study permit remains valid;
- You have claimed to be protected as a refugee.
- You’ve got a short-lived resident permit that’s valid for six months or more;
- You’re a trader, investor, intracompany transferee, or professional under the Canada United States Mexico.
- The agreement, but you need a Canadian work permit to work in a different job (this does not apply to business visitors); Or
- You’re a trader, investor, intracompany transferee, or professional under the Canada United States Mexico Agreement, but you need a Work Permit to work in a different job (CUSMA).
If you apply at a port of entry, you must meet specific eligibility requirements.
You should apply for your working papers, your Canada work permit before you visit Canada.
However, if you’re eligible, you’ll apply for a work permit once you enter Canada.
To apply for a Canada work permit at a port of entry (POE), you must be;
Eligible to travel without a visitor visa or suitable for an electronic travel authorization or
Entering Canada directly from the United States
Other requirements are counting on the type of work permit you’re applying for;
Open Work permits applicants
must also have a valid job offer from a Canadian employer.
Employer specific work permit applicants
- Your employer must have completed all of them for your employer-specific Canada work permit.
- You’ll also get to take a checkup before you come to Canada.
Get free online consultation by experienced and regulated consultants!
Most applicants aren’t eligible to submit their biometrics at a Port of Entry.
In order to give your biometrics at a POE, you need to meet two requirements:
Start and finish your work permit application at the same POE
You must be eligible to apply for a Canadian work permit at a POE
You may qualify for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) if you graduated from a designated learning institution and you want to stay in Canada temporarily to work.
You are not automatically eligible for a Post Graduate Work Permit after graduating from a DLI.
You have 180 days after you getting your final marks to use for a PGWP.
If you’ve got a piece permit that’s close to expiring or that you got to change, you want to apply to increase it or change the conditions thereon.
You should apply to increase your Canada work permit a minimum of 30 days before your current Permit expires.
Check your passport’s expiration date.
Maintain your status
If you apply to increase or change the conditions of your work permit before it expires, you’re legally allowed to remain in Canada while we process your application.
If your working papers expire while we process your application, determine if you’ll keep working.
In some cases, you'll work without a permit.
You do not need a work permit if you meet specific requirements and the following are among those who do not need a work permit are:
Aviation accident or incident investigator
Civil aviation inspector
A family member of foreign representative
A foreign government official or representative