Page Banners (3)


What is Spousal/Child Sponsorship?

A Spousal sponsorship is used when a Canadian citizen or Permanent Resident can sponsor their spouse/common-law partner/conjugal partner to come to Canada and live permanently. 

Child sponsorship will be offered through the Family Class sponsorship, enabling Canadian citizens or permanent residents to sponsor their dependant children who reside in different countries to live together in Canada. 

Either biological or adopted, they should sponsor dependent children to live with their parent(s) as permanent residents in Canada.

Who is eligible to sponsor their family?

You can eligible to sponsor your spouse/ common-law partner/ conjugal partner only if:

  • You are at least 18 years of age.
  • You are Citizen or a Permanent Resident of Canada, or a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act.
  • You can provide for your basic needs and those of your spouse/common-law partner/conjugal partner as well as your dependent children, wherever applicable.
  • You can prove your relationship to the person you are looking to sponsor.
  • You are living outside Canada, and you must show that you plan to return and live in Canada when the person you want to sponsor becomes a permanent resident.
  • You should not be receiving any social assistance unless being a disab
  • led.
  • You are able to provide for the basic needs of any person you are looking to sponsor.

Further, please note that you should not be:

  • -in jail, prison, or a penitentiary.
  • -convicted of attempting, threatening to commit, or committing a violent criminal offense, an offense against a relative, or any sexual offense whether inside or outside Canada.
  • -under investigation from the Canadian immigration authorities.

Who can I sponsor?

To successfully apply under this visa category, you need to prove that you both have been in a relationship that falls under the below three categories:

Spouse: A person who is legally married to you and at least 18 years old.

Common-law partner: A person who is at least 18 years old and you both have lived together for at least 12 straight months.

Conjugal partner: A person who is at least 18 years of age, and has been in a relationship for at least 12 months with you, lives outside of Canada, and is not able to live with you or marry you due to significant legal or immigration causes in their home country . For example, they reside in a country that does not recognize your marriage. You need to prove to Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) that you were not able to live together or marry the partner in your partner’s country.

Canada is among the few and growing countries which recognize same-sex partners and marriages, which means you can sponsor your same-sex partner provided they qualify the requirements.

Child: Dependent children, whether biological or adopted of the Canadian citizen or permanent residents. Who is not married or in a common-law relationship and is below the age of 22.

Requirements to sponsor in Canada?

Canada makes sure that anyone sponsoring an individual can show a commitment to support them financially. As a sponsor, you will have to sign an undertaking. 

The undertaking will bound you to provide for the basic needs of the sponsored person for three years for your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner, and for ten years for your child below the age of 22 years or until they reach 25 years of age, whichever comes first. You cannot withdraw or cancel the undertaking, even if your personal or financial situation changes due to various circumstances, once immigration has approved the sponsorship application, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC).

These basic needs include:

  • Housing, including utility bills.
  • Food, clothing, and other items will be needed for daily living.
  • Medical expenses will not be covered by public health insurance.

Get free online consultation by experienced and regulated consultants!


AMK Global has been successfully helping Canadian citizens and permanent residents in their journey of sponsoring their spouse/common-law partner/conjugal partner and dependant children. Here is what AMK Global’s team will do for you:

  • Our certified and regulated immigration consultants will discuss the situation with you. Together, we will evaluate your eligibility to sponsor your spouse/common-law partner/conjugal partner and dependant children.
  • Our experienced and regulated team at AMK Global will advise and assist you in collecting all the required documents for a complete and successful application.
  • Prepare your application package with the utmost care, free of errors to prevent any foreseeable delays and reduce the risk of non-approval.
  • Submit, track and follow up (whenever needed) with your application during the processing period and until your spouse/common-law partner/conjugal partner and dependant children receive their Super Visa.
  • Our certified and regulated agents/lawyers of AMK Global will correspond with the respective visa office on your behalf, make applications and ensure that your application is processed smoothly and promptly for successful approval.
  • Provide you with continued support throughout the application process and respond to any of your questions, concerns, or inquiries.

Please fill up the assessment form so that our dedicated team can get in touch with you and assist you.

Get free online consultation by experienced and regulated consultants!