Page Banners (12)


The main classes of the UK long-term work visas are as follows:

  • Skilled worker visa
  • Minister of religion
  • Intracompany work visa
  • Sportsperson

Application process

You can apply for a long-term work visa online.

You can use it outside or inside the UK, and you can include your spouse and your children on your application to stay with you in the UK if they are eligible.

Processing time

The skilled worker visa should be applied three months before you are supposed to start work in the UK. The date you are due to start work will be listed on your certificate of sponsorship.

You need to prove your identity and provide your documents, as part of your application, 

After applying online and verifying your identity, as well as providing your records, a decision will be communicated on your visa application within:

  • Three weeks, for applicants outside the UK
  • Eight weeks, for applicants inside the UK

In cases where you need to go to an appointment, you may opt to pay for a faster decision, but this depends on whether you’re an applicant outside or inside the UK.


If you are applying along with your family, each of you will need to pay:

  • the application fee
  • healthcare surcharge for each year of stay 

You will also need to provide evidence that you have enough personal savings with you.


Skilled worker visa

The skilled worker visa is for applicants outside the EEA and Switzerland who have received a valid job offer in the UK. The job seeker must be employed by a licensed employer or sponsor, thus enabling him to apply. Only applicants with job titles on the list of eligible occupations can apply for a skilled worker visa. The applicant will be paid a minimum salary that depends on the type of work he/she will doing. 

The applicant must be conversant and understanding the English language.  Usually, the applicant will be required to prove their knowledge of English when applying.

The visa will be valid for only five years, and you can extend it as many times as you desire as far as you still meet the eligibility requirements. In case you change your employer or your job, a visa update will be required.

A complete list of what you can or cannot do with a Skilled Worker visa will be shared with successful applicants.


Intracompany visa

There are two flavors of Intra-company visa.

Intra-company Transfer visa

You can apply for this visa if your company or employer is transferring you to a role in the UK. 

You have to meet either of the following requirements

You are supposed to have worked for your employer overseas for more than 12 months, 

 Or your employer is going to be paying you £73,900 per annum or more to work in the UK.

Intra-company Transfer is a replacement of the Tier 2 Intra Company Transfer Long-term Staff visa.


Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa

This visa is mainly meant for transfers to the UK as part of training programs for graduates or managerial and specialist roles.

You must have worked overseas for a minimum of 3 months for your employer immediately before the date you apply.


  • You must be an existing employee of a business or employer that the Home Office has approved as a sponsor.
  • You must have a ‘certificate of sponsorship’ from your employer regarding your role in the UK.
  • Your job must be on the eligible occupations list
  •  For an Intra-company Transfer visa, you must be paid at least £41,500 or at least £23,000 for an Intra-company Graduate Trainee visa

Your job determines the specific eligibility requirements


Minister or Religion visa  

It is for non-EU and Switzerland nationals with a valid job offer in the UK within a faith community.

Get free online consultation by experienced and regulated consultants!

Get a sponsor

To apply to live in the UK, you need to be employed by a licensed sponsor, who will double-check whether you will be able to do the job you are being hired to do and if it qualifies you for a visa.

 Your sponsor will give you a certificate of sponsorship as a prove.

Tier 2 UK Sportsperson visa

An elite sportsperson or qualified coach whose sport’s governing body has been recognized for being at the highest level of their profession globally can apply for this visa.

You can apply for a Sportsperson visa (T2) if all of the following apply:

  • you’re a top-class  sportsperson or qualified coach, recognized by your sport’s governing body 
  • your sport’s governing body approves your application
  • your employment will bring development to  your mark in the UK at the highest level
  • you are meeting  the other eligibility requirements


 The governing body that approves your application is your sponsor, and they will give you a certificate of sponsorship to prove their sponsorship to you.



Where you are applying from will determine how much you will pay

If you are using outside the UK, you will pay 610 GBP, and if your family is included in your application, 610 GBP will be required for each person 

If you are applying inside the UK to extend or switch, you will pay 704 GBP, and if your family is included on your application, 704 GBP will be required for each person 

The reduction is only applied to the principal applicant’s visa application. Thus for your spouse and children, the application fee must be paid in full.

Those who will be applying to extend or switch in the UK need to pay £19.20 to have their biometric information (fingerprints and a photo) taken.

Moreover, for those applying to extend or switch in the UK, they have to pay an extra £500 to give priority service to get a decision on their application within five working days.

To get a super-priority service and have a decision on your application:

  • At the end of the following working day, after you have given your biometric information, if your appointment is on a weekday
  • Two working days after you have given  biometric information if your work is on a weekend

You can pay an extra £800.

Working days in the UK are from Monday to Friday, excluding all bank holidays.

After receiving your decision letter, you have to wait for your biometric residence permit for about ten working days to arrive.

Visa validity

 A Minister of Religion visa (T2) allows you to stay in the UK for a maximum period of up to 3 years and one month, or the time specified on your sponsorship certificate plus an additional14 days, whichever is shorter.

  •  A Minister of Religion visa gives you the option to extend your stay, but you must apply for the extension before your visa expires.

Get free online consultation by experienced and regulated consultants!